I’m very sorry that this lady had to suffer like that . . . but I can’t understand how she made that mistake.
A Connecticut woman mistakenly lit a stick of dynamite instead of a candle during a power outage and suffered severe injuries Thursday night, police said.
Authorities said the “tragic accident” happened to the 30-year-old mother of two on Lindley Street after thunderstorms passed through the Bridgeport area. The family tried to go to Home Depot to buy emergency lighting, but the store was closed.
When they got back home, they went to get what they believed were candles left behind in the basement by previous residents.
“She attempted to light one of what she thought was the candle and turned out to be a quarter stick of dynamite,” police said.
The woman was taken to the hospital with “extreme injuries” to her hands, and she might lose fingers. She also suffered serious facial injuries, police said. The explosion did not injure anyone else.
There’s more at the link.
What bugs me is, a stick of dynamite looks and feels nothing like a candle. Furthermore, if it exploded, that means it had to be left fused, with a blasting cap inserted into the explosive. No-one in his right mind does that – so who did it? How old was the dynamite? Who put it there? How long had it been in the house? Where did it come from in the first place? I don’t think Connecticut has much in the way of mining operations, so I presume it was taken from a construction site, or something like that.
There are lots of questions that I’m sure local police will be trying to answer. Meanwhile, I’m very sorry for the lady concerned, and I hope she makes a full recovery . . . but I still want to know how she mistook a quarter-stick of dynamite for a candle stub. The explosion may not have produced much light, but I daresay it was enlightening!
(She should also be grateful it was only a quarter-stick, and probably degraded at that. A full stick of fresh dynamite might have brought part of the house down on top of her.)